An academic certification is an official document provided by the University Registrar verifying dates of attendance, award of degree, and/or student status (full-time or part-time) by semester. It is typically requested for health insurance, visa, employment, or credit verification purposes. There is no fee for this service.

Certification Requests

Please note that Columbia University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse (http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/  or 703-742-4200) to respond to all third-party degree verification requests.  All third-party degree verifications should be submitted to the National Student Clearinghouse as the initial verification. If further verification is required please email [email protected] with the transaction ID number provided by the National Student Clearinghouse.   

Currently-enrolled students can use a self-service application for the creation of official enrollment certifications through Student Services Online (SSOL).

Employers and insurers should contact the National Student Clearinghouse to verify a Columbia University degree or a student's past enrollment. The Clearinghouse may be reached by phone at: (703) 742-4200.

Note: If you are requesting a certification for a visa, you should make certain that your expected graduation date is included on your record before leaving and returning to the United States.

Currently-enrolled students should request enrollment certifications online using SSOL.

Students who have specialized forms can email requests to [email protected].

Students who do not have access to SSOL can complete the Academic Certification Request Form and send it to [email protected].

Medical Center students with special certification requests should email [email protected].

Students may request a certification of their disciplinary records from Student Conduct and Community Standards.