Certifications & Transcripts: Information for Parents

A student is the only one who may order an academic certification or transcript for his or her academic record. If you wish to receive either one, you should ask your son or daughter to submit a request and have it mailed to your address. A new request needs to be made each term.

See below for basic descriptions. Please visit the links above for ordering instructions and complete information.

Academic Certification

An academic certification is an official document provided by the University Registrar verifying dates of attendance, award of degree, and student status (full-time or part-time) by term. It is typically requested for health insurance, visa, employment and credit verification purposes. There is no fee for this service.


A transcript is an official record of a student's entire tenure at Columbia. It reflects all coursework and grades per term for each school attended within the University. Other information on the transcript includes:

  • Name as it appears in the Columbia University records

  • School and departmental affiliation

  • Degree/certificate program (if applicable)

  • Degree/certificate conferral date (if applicable)

  • Honors earned (if applicable)

  • G.P.A. (select schools only). Note: the G.P.A. will not be printed on transcripts of students who attended prior to 1982.

There are no fees attached to generating official transcripts. Transcripts may be withheld for anyone who has not satisfied an outstanding non-financial University obligation.