Faculty: Viewing Grades

Follow the steps below to view a current or previous term grade roster:

  • Log into Student Services Online and select Web Grading
  • Enter the Course ID and Section ID and select the desired term.
  • Select View Class to search.

Archived grade rosters are available back to 1982.  They can be downloaded into Excel to save or print.

Submitting Grades

Deadlines for submitting grades for Spring 2015:

  • Graduating Students:
    Friday, May 15, 2015 by 11:59 PM

  • Non-graduating Students:
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 by 11:59 PM

Grades must be submitted through Web Grading on Student Services Online. You will need your University Network ID (UNI) and password to log in. The submission process requires two steps:

  • Click the Submit button on the web grade roster. You will then be required to check your work and perform a final submission.
  • After the final submission, you will receive a message stating that grades have been successfully submitted.

To determine whether or not your grades have been submitted, check the grade roster which will state the date, time and UNI of the individual who submitted the grades.

Please note: Columbia and Barnard students who take the same classes will appear and be graded on a single grade roster.

For assistance using Web Grading, please contact your departmental administrator or send an email.

Changing Grades

Instructors are responsible for initiating grade changes and must transact all grade changes directly in Student Services Online (SSOL) for students in the following schools: Architecture, Business, Columbia College, Continuing Education, Engineering, General Studies, GSAS, International Affairs, Journalism, Nursing and Social Work. Students are prohibited from participating in the grade change process.

To change a grade of YC or CP, return to the Grade Roster and submit changed grades.

To change a grade other than YC or CP for students in many Columbia University schools, click on the Change Grades button from the Web Grading menu option.  If the Change of Grade option is not available for a student, instructors should use the paper change-of-grade process through their department.

We have developed the following references to help faculty with the new process:

A one-page overview of the benefits and functions of the new online Grade Change functionality.

Note: All undergraduate grade changes must be approved by the school’s academic advising center.