Faculty and Staff
University Exam Policies and Procedures
Each school at the University has a Committee on Instruction. These committees determine examination policies and procedures and publish them in school bulletins. There are three basic examination schedules prepared by the University:
- Columbia College and the School of General Studies
- Fu Foundation School of Engineering & Applied Science
- The Graduate School of Arts & Sciences and the School of International & Public Affairs
The Projected Exam Schedule will help students plan examinations. Some general principles may help:
- Colloquia and seminars do not schedule final exams, but instructors may give them if they wish.
- Applied courses such as laboratories, research, and studio classes usually have final examinations during regular class hours.
- Courses on the 8000 level or above usually do not have final examinations, but instructors may give them if they wish.
For further information on final examinations, read your school Bulletin.